Out of Home Care


Out of Home Care is a form of supported accommodation for young people who are in need of the care provided by trained carers in a home environment.

It provides a realistic setting allowing the needs of young people to be thoroughly assessed.  The potential for a supported restoration with their family is always explored.  Case managers provide intensive support to community carers, young people and their families.  An on-call service for young people and carers is available 24 hours per day, 7 days a week.

Out of Home Care is not a substitute family or institutional care.

Entry Criteria

A young person is suitable for Out of Home Care if he/she:

  • Is aged between 12 and 18 years in out-of-home care
  • Needs live-in support, as well as assistance with living skills
  • Is referred by FACS – either court-ordered care or under the care of the minister
  • Is prepared to participate in setting positive goals such as gaining education or employment and work with a case manager to achieve them
  • Willing to participate in appropriate day-time activities

We acknowledge that working with young people within their existing networks can result in the best outcome. However, we will also assist young people willing to develop those networks in the area.

out of home care

Some of the benefits provided by Out of Home Care include

  • A “supported” living situation where a young person is more likely to develop the skills for living independently in the community
  • A flexible and individualised form of care
  • A safe and stable living environment within which the young person can work on their chosen goals
  • Reducing disruption to the young person’s life and allowing them to keep in contact with their support networks as the care is provided locally.

Supported Independent Living

Supported Independent Living (SIL) options are available for young people in out of home care. Entry is for between 16 to 18 years old young people who can stay for a maximum of 2 years while working towards independent living. Higher levels of Case Manager support available.


Click here for the Complaints and Appeals Information Sheet. As a client of The Burdekin Association, you have the right to complain about the services you receive from us. This information sheet is provided to you upon entry to our service and each time you make a complaint.

Click here for the Complaint Form.  As a client of The Burdekin Association, you have the right to make a complaint. You may wish to submit your complaint using this form.

Contact Us

If you’d like to find out more, please contact us on (02) 8976 1777 and talk to the referral intake worker.

Monday to Friday between 9 am – 5 pm.